Much like Caring House, a group of volunteers had worked for five+ years to develop this home for its community. The lovely OCHH home has four private rooms, two bathrooms, large eat-in kitchen, dining room and living room, plus a beautiful backyard.
We met with four OCHH leaders and compared notes. Among the reminders and new ideas we gathered:
- Nurses have become a large part of the OCHH volunteer corps — and are a great help training caregivers and other community volunteers.
- Having leased their residence for the initial year, they are now facing a rent increase from their landlord.
- All the linens (and more) were donated by community members who checked the OCHH wishlist at Bed, Bath & Beyond (like in a wedding registry).
- To simplify administrative matters, initially they’ve been obtaining caregivers through a home care agency rather than hiring their own employees. This provides an assured source of back-up if a caregiver cannot make it to work.
- They already have more than 100 volunteers, who do a variety of jobs beyond supporting residents and families, including: mailings, fundraising, education, cooking, grant writing, event planning, gardening and website management.
It’s amazing to see what a dedicated group of individuals can accomplish.