How to change my health proxy?

Questions and AnswereQuestion: Christine asked us online “How to change my health proxy?”

Answer: Christine, we’re assuming that you are asking how to change the person you’ve named to make care decisions for you if you become incapacitated. In California we refer to that person as an “agent.” Other states (including New York) refer to that person as a “proxy.”

If you were living here in California, we’d suggest that you sign a new Power of Attorney for Health Care. In it you’d name the new person(s) to speak for you. A properly signed, witnessed and dated Power of Attorney for Health Care replaces all earlier versions.

We expect that there’s a similar approach in your state — and suggest you Google the phrase “replace health care proxy” plus the name of your state to get started.

Hoping you find this helpful. Thanks for asking.